It is estimated that driver fatigue is a contributory factor in as many as 1 in 5 driver deaths in Ireland every year. Furthermore, tiredness-related collisions are 3 times more likely to be fatal or result in a serious injury because of the high impact speed and lack of avoiding action. As result too many Peoples have been killed or seriously injured over Bank Holliday Weekend due to driver fatigue. Every time those dramatics accidents are avoidable by simple things that we should not do before to start our journey:
- NEVER DRIVE WHEN YOU EFEEL SLEEPY
- When you start fighting sleep at the wheel, your impairment is as dangerous as driving over the legal alcohol limit
- Stop & take a 15mn nap (set up watch or other alarm)
- To really make the most of your break, take a caffeine drink before you drive again (150gr of caffeine, 2 cups of coffee), get some fresh air & stretch your legs.
- A motorist is 13 more likely to have a tiredness related collision in the early morning than the early afternoon
So if you are planning to travel over the bank holidays Weekend, Make sure than you have plenty rest before you drive & drive safely. Remember the best cure for tiredness is sleep.
I hope that those tips will help you in your journey, stay safe on the roads & enjoy your bank holiday weekend
Thank you for reading Castletown School of Motoring blog.