Learner Permit

If you are a Learners Permit Holder, for your own safety & for the safety of other road users you must follow certain rules.

You cannot drive your vehicle on the public road alone, regardless of how long you have been driving and how many learner permits you have held. You must be accompanied by someone with a full licence with at least 2 years minimum driving experience of the same category that you are driving. However there is a few exceptions:

  • Driving a work vehicle (e.g. agricultural tractor or JCB), unless it has been adapted to carry a passenger, and the passenger holds a full driving licence for a work vehicle for a continuous period of 2 years.
  • Riding a motorcycle, if you obtained your first learner permit on or after the 6 December 2010 you need to carry a Certification of Satisfactory Completion with your permit in order to drive.

Before that you are starting your journey always make sure that the vehicle is road worthy.

  • ‘L’ plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle. The plate should consist of a red ‘L’ on a white background.
  • As a Learner Permit Holder you are not allow to drive on Motorway even if you possess a certificate of competence.
  • Regarding the categories of Learner Permit B, C1, C, D1, or D you are not allowed to draw a trailer.
  • If you hold a Learner Permit of any Categories you cannot carry paying passengers or other sort of reward.

Remember that it is a serious offence to drive unless accompanied by someone with a minimum of 2 years driving experience, punishable by a fine of €80 & 2 points on your licence.

At Castletown School of Motoring, we provide EDTs lessons, regular driving lessons, pre-tests (car also available to hire for Driving Test), and motorway lessons for full licences only.

You can book your next lesson with Castletown School of Motoring on

https://www.castletownsom.com/contact/ or mobile: 086 044 0157

Thank you for reading Castletown School of Motoring.

Castletown School of Motoring

ADI: 35 371